Monday, April 28, 2008

I'm... moving out.

Just like the song.

During college, I lived on campus all four years, with some really great roommates, sharing a room, sharing a bunkbed, sharing a bathroom, and sharing a kitchen. It's great, but its hard, and it is a great teaching tool for how to interact, socialize, and behave.

When I came to law school, I frustrated my parents to no end by telling them no matter how much more money I spent, I was NOT going to have a roommate. I just knew that for me, having a roommate in law school would be a bad idea. And so, I've lived alone for two years, without even so much as a goldfish in my apartment.

I love my apartment. It was brand new when I moved in, so I know exactly what happened on my carpet. It's clean, it has just enough space, and all my stuff fits. I know exactly where everything is, and everything is where I want it to be.

Except. Except.

Except now, I'm moving out. I'm moving about an hour and a half away, and I will be commuting to law school. I'm moving to a beautiful old house, with all hardwood floors, a backyard, and a garage. And a fireplace. And a basement. And another person.

Hmmm. I've lived alone for so long, this might take some adjusting. I have to combine my dark cherry and mahogany woods with his light oak woods. Since we have three beds between the two of us, we need to decide which bed frames get used, whose hutch gets displayed, whose T.V. gets to be in the living room, and so on. The only thing I have absolute say over is the kitchen--I love to cook. That will be my knives, my pots and pans, and my Corningware. And Vor gets absolute say over the office room, since he is the only one out of us that actually works at a desk. So that will be his desk, his laptop, and his decorations.

So, goodbye apartment. You've taught me lots of things, such as where the best place to keep a flashlight is, how to keep the insects from coming in, how to change the air filters, and how to operate a dishwasher.

But I'm ready to start adjusting.

No comments: