Friday, March 20, 2009

It's Your Focus, Stupid

My mother gives my family lots of laughs. She will walk around the house, asking where her glasses are, when they are on top of her head. She's put her sneakers in the refrigerator, and the milk in the freezer. In not-so-humorous moments, she has left her credit card, wallet, and purse in various locations.

Is it a memory problem, or a focus problem?

Seeing as I have started doing this as well, Vor and I are leaning towards a focus problem.

Yesterday, I was taking out the trash. I had my wallet in my hand, and it slipped from my hand into the garbage. Just as I thought, "Oh, need to get that!" the phone rang. And I was distracted. My focus was gone, and alas, my wallet went out with the garbage.

I didn't even remember this little incident until today, when I got in my car to go to work. No wallet. It's in a garbage dump somewhere. Yes, everything is canceled, so don't bother trying to go sift through garbage to get a free ride.

I do this all the time, with my shoes, my coat, my car keys, my glasses. This is the first time it's ever been something really bad.

So, I need to find ways to improve my focus on mundane tasks. I don't know if that means something as simple as saying to myself every time I set something down, "Self, you put X down here," until it becomes routine to think it, or whether it means going out and buying a book to see what my problem is and get help.

Or maybe this is something that will lessen in severity once I stop living in two places, finish law school, and take the bar. I just don't think it will ever go away unless I do something about it.

I don't know right now.

All I know is that I will be spending the day getting a new driver's license, because you know that was in my wallet, too.

No comments: