Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Last Dance

My computer and I do this dance every other month or so.

Do you work? No. Okay, why not? Because I suck. Oh. Well, what's wrong? Everything.

Great.

I have been getting the blue screen of death with alarming regularity. Except, I think I have to stop calling it the blue screen of death, because my computer magically revives itself, kind of like that patient on Grey's Anatomy last week.

My favorite recurring issue is the power cord. 1L year, I noticed that it would not charge when I plugged it in. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, we figured out that it was the cord that runs out of the power pack adapter thingy (yes, that is a technical term). We replaced it.

Then it started smoking, so we replaced it again.

And again, after it electrocuted my brother.

Today, once again, it stopped charging. Big sigh, lots of nasty words, asking God why he doesn't like me this week. Then I realized it wasn't even the power cord--it was the actual computer hardware itself this time.

Oh. GREAT. It is almost impossible to be a law student without a laptop. It is impossible to be me, as a law student, without a laptop. I can't even begin to tell you the depths of despair (Pit of Despair!) this caused today, given everything that needs to get done--that seems to involve files on my damn computer--in the next few days.

I just...I don't know.

So, Dear Computer,

I know we've had a good almost three years. Well, actually, given what I've just said above, not really all that good.

We have danced our last dance together. The DJ has turned off his equipment, the lights are on, people are leaving, so stop revolving with me on the spot like a bad high school slow dance.

Peace out,

Grace

No comments: