Tuesday, April 14, 2009

It's A Dog's World

I think in lists, pros and cons.

So here is the current list: To Dog, or not to Dog, that is the question.

Pros: I love dogs. I loved having a Golden Retriever. I miss the panting, the cute face, the snuggling, the walks, and the wagging tail. I miss the thump-thump-thump of Jekyll's tail in the morning as he came over to see me and bumped his tail against my dresser. I want a dog that will play in the water and play catch. I want my (future) kids to have a dog. There is no doubt we will have a dog someday. But right now is a good time; I will be home for the summer, studying for the bar. That's time for the dog to get used to us, and for me to train it. We can adopt an older dog. When we work, we can get a dog walker to come by and check on it. A dog is a great excuse to leave a lame event.

Cons: It's kind of hard to find an older Golden to adopt. Apparently, they are just as popular with everyone else, for the reasons listed above (who knew?). I don't miss carry the poop bag while we go for a walk. I don't miss being woken up at 3:30 in the morning by a dog who is just overjoyed that it is the start of another! beautiful! day! Vor and I both work, and the poor thing will be left alone for 8 hours. I don't want a puppy. I hate having to think about what to do with the dog everytime we want to go out for the evening. And the worst of all the cons, no matter how much you love them, take care of them, and pet them, they die on you, before you want them to.

That's a fairly comprehensive list of the war in my brain currently.

Thoughts?

No comments: