Thursday, September 3, 2009

My Guilt Is Entirely Catholic

I was going to tell you that Telly and I both survived my first day at work, but we didn't. He peed in his crate.

Yes, I have a dog walker. Yes, I still feel like a bad mom. Yes, I still want to give the dog back, though now it's motivated by guilt instead of sheer hatred.

No, I will never give the dog up, because he is cute and he was Vor's birthday present.

God, it felt good to go to work and use my brain. I love it. I love it so much that I don't feel guilty even when my sister launched into a litany of why mothers that work while they have young children are bad mothers. I just don't care. Although it's extrapolating, I'm pretty sure I won't feel guilty when it's a real kid.

At least, not guilty in the sense that I can pin this anxious feel on something specific. I swear, the guilt that is lingering around me is the leftovers, bred into all cradle Catholics. Gotta love it.

3 comments:

That Married Couple said...

Keep up the dog posts - we've contemplated getting one but always chicken out! Your tales of the woes of house-breaking help reaffirm our (tentative) decision! :)

Also, could you explain to me this Catholic guilt thing? Because I'm a new Catholic, so I'm not quite sure I understand it, even though I've heard Catholics reference it several times.

LawMommy said...

You will not feel guilty when you are a working mom because you will have seen, at work, what bad moms look like.

When you have the kind of job wherein you know what the really bad moms look like...well, you definitely know that you are not one of them.

And kindly smack your sister for me. (Kidding.) (Maybe.)

Graced said...

Yeah, the housebreaking is tons of fun!

And true about the bad moms. I think when my sister says this stuff, she is just oblivious, not malicious. I'm not sure that she has a filter sometimes!