Monday, September 21, 2009

Run Me Around

So. Buttons. (Get it? You sew buttons? I'm pretty sure that little joke of mine drives Vor crazy every time he says so, but he makes me nuts too; whenever I say well... he replies with it's a deep subject. There can be no doubt that we are good together.)

I am supposed to walk Telly to the vet's office, since it is right around the corner. It's pouring outside. Driving the car two blocks seems absolutely ridiculous...but so does getting drenched.

Also, we are closing next Monday. Crazy! We have a house that is almost ours, and we're going to be moving in soon. Really soon. Like, I should stop typing and keep packing soon.

And now, for the real thing. I mentioned that Vor and I were canceling our gym memberships and that I bought running shoes. Well, I did, and I've been running. There's only one slight problem.

I am NOT a runner. I was a swimmer, a volleyball player, and a rower. Now, sometimes these things involved running for training, and you bet your sweet behinds out there that I did everything in my power to get out of running. I offered to do more circuit training, lift more weights, swim more laps, erg more minutes, bikes more miles, anything to get out of running. And then there was the law school knee blowout and months of PT. That was fun too.

So, now I am running. Slowly, with lots of brisk walking in between. What I am saying is, does anyone out there run? Any advice? Helpful websites for beginners? I mean, I am an athlete, so I know all about my limits, stretching, water, eating. But I don't know about workouts. Or times, or distance, or even really great songs to put on my iPod while I run. How about stretches that are best? What are problem signs? What are normal pains? Why does my achilles tendon start to hurt and feel like it is going to snap after a while?

Want to help me run my life? Ha. Ha. So punny.

1 comment:

That Married Couple said...

Wow - you were a synchronized swimmer?! That's amazing. I got just good enough at swimming not to drown in short triathlons (barely), so I actually have a lot of respect for people who are good at it!

But I can run! Not fast, really, but I've been doing it for awhile, so I'm glad to offer suggestions. But I don't know that you need too many, since as you said you're already an athlete. I do have the "Complete Book of Running" - you could probably get all the same information online, but in case you want a hardback version. Also, a good place to start is the Runner's World (magazine) website; here's the page for beginners:
http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,7119,s6-380-0-0-0,00.html

Workouts/times/distance: All fairly irrelevant until you get comfortable with just running. An easy way to up your endurance is to tell yourself to jog for say 4 minutes then walk for 1 minute for a set amount of time. (Maybe 20 minutes? I'm not sure how far along you are. Maybe you should start running 8 and walking 2?) Then gradually keep upping that - 5 min jog/1 min walk, 6 jog/1 walk, and so on, as well as upping the total amount of time to 30-40 minutes. I think 3 miles is always a good goal to strive for.

Once you've been running for awhile you might want to try to do a local 5k, to have a challenge and something fun to train for. You absolutely don't have to worry about speed in these - there's always a variety of runners and walkers.

As for stretching, I just try to at least get my quads, hamstrings, and calves before and after each run. An achilles tendon pain sounds suspicious - you might want to look into that. Hopefully it's not from your new shoes!

Oh, and the absolute most important advice: make it fun! Or it'll never last. If you're doing it with your husband, that's good, because having a partner helps. Some people find having goals helps. Some people find having cute new running outfits helps. Whatever it takes! :)

And now I have written way way too much. Time to go work on what I'm actually supposed to be writing! Good luck!