Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Caveman, Where Is Thy Bread?

Cavemen? Really? I know. Just when you think I've jumped off the deep end, I prove that no, that was only the shallow end, and now I'm moving towards the middle of the pool.

My dad is diabetic. Clearly, I have the predisposition, since it's genetic, I am built more like him, I can inhale chocolate without feeling any effect, I crave sugar like its air, and I can gain weight by smelling food. (I am completely not kidding about either) My brother, for almost two years now, has been on what he calls the paleo diet, and what I refer to as the caveman diet.

Basically, if a caveman could eat it, he can eat. Meat, veggies, very little cheese/dairy, absolutely no sugar--no bread (cavemen didn't make bread!) no pasta... you get the idea. Its South Beach on a crazy streak. Here's the thing though--he has never been so fit or healthy, and that's saying something. The doctors are amazed (as in, where is your bad cholesterol? we can't find!)

Clearly, this is all good stuff for my dad... and my brother has decided that I am going down the primrose path as well, so I am his target. This is all just in time for that lovely new years resolution to be more healthy.

So here I am, on day six. I feel tired, cranky, achy, and I have the mother of all headaches nesting inside my skull. My brother assures me this is normal, and I am going through sugar withdrawal. He's probably right. I have to say, it has not been hard to find things to eat though.

I could tell you about all the research he has sent me, but I'm too lazy. I could tell you about the food, but I'm hungry, smelling my steak cooking.

Vor says, if you're a caveman, shouldn't that steak be raw?

I think not. If that's the deepest end, rest assured I will never go there.

1 comment:

That Married Couple said...

Are you at least allowed to have fruits? I have heard good things about going on a more natural diet like this, but I don't think I could ever sustain it. Good luck!