Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Bottle of Bread and Two Loaves of Wine

Paris, je t'aime.

The first time I went to Paris, my brother took me out to dinner--he was stationed in Germany and had traveled to Paris with myself and my parents for a weekend get away. Mom and Dad stayed back at the hotel room, eating food from one of the fresh markets on the street.

When we got back, my Mom was very giggly and my Dad was red faced. Mom informed us that no siree, she was not jealous of the super nice dinner we just ate, because she and Dad just had two bottles bread and a loaf of wine.

Drunk as a skunk, I tell you. A great memory. A memory we like to break out every now and then.

So, Vor and I would like to make a few of those memories of our own--in Paris, that is. We're going. Next year, spring time. Be there. Or rather, please don't be there, because (1) I won't recognize you and (2) I would like some quality time with Vor, if you catch my drift.

Of course, this is appx. 7 to 8 months away, but that has not stopped me from checking out every guide book the library owns on the Paris and Normandy areas, and making tentative selections of where I want to go, what I want to see, etc. Since this is ONLY 7 to 8 months out, I've also checked out a French textbook and some CDs, so that I can brush up on my French. I've been tentatively testing it out--I can understand most written things, a fair bit of spoken things, and but just about nil comes out of my mouth properly. Le sigh.

Vor's never been, so the usual suspects are in play: Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, Louvre, etc. I'd like to put some twists on those, and add a few of my own. Versailles is high on the list. Didn't get to go either time I was in Paris. I've been tot he D-Day beaches, but I want to go with Vor. Things like that gain more meaning as you gain more perspective.

I've been to Mont-St-Michel, but man, do I want to go back. What do you mean you've never heard of it? Go here, and here, and here, and now tell me how much you want to see this. It's amazing. The Abbey opens up to the sea and the sky, so you feel like you could leap into the clouds. The city itself feels like you imagine Minas Tirith would feel (Lord of Rings, yes I am showing my geek side, love it and embrace it). The road winds upwards, and it is a narrow road, full of shops.

So. What would you do? Wine tour? Something else?

1 comment:

That Married Couple said...

Oh, what a wonderful trip that sounds like! I've never been to France, but I think Versailles would be top on my list. Have fun planning!