Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Waste

There's a first time for everything.

I imagine saying that to my kid(s) about losing a tooth, riding a bike, going through a breakup, etc. I imagine saying it lovingly, comfortingly, and sarcastically.

I don't imagine repeating it to myself, over and over, like I've done all day today.

This is the first time someone on one of my cases has died.

I've been stunned all day. I found out last night. I don't think I slept at all, except for that brief time where I dreamt that everyone involved with this case (the children, the parents, the grandparents, the aunts and uncles) went out to dinner with me and had sushi. Riddle me that.

Please, please, please. If you think someone is depressed and in need of help, reach out. If you think a child is not in a good place, call your dept. of child services. If you think an adult is in danger, encourage them to seek the help they need. If you don't know what to do, call a crisis hotline. They know what to do.

What a waste of potential and life. It's been breaking my heart all day.

1 comment:

LawMommy said...

Once upon a time, 30 some years ago, before he became a corporate lawyer, my father did what you did.

And then one of the kids on one of his cases was thrown down a flight of stairs by her step-father and she died.

And it broke my father. He has never been the same. He has never recovered from that moment.

Don't let it break you.

I'm so sorry.