Thursday, November 11, 2010

Seeking Like Minds

My best friend's wedding was this past weekend. She was mellow, a beautiful bride, and he is a good guy. I could not be happier for them. Also, it gave me another chance to realize how blessed I am to have Vor, because I could not have done all my maid of honor duties without him. He was the general bat man, running around for tape, picking up stray bridesmaids from the airport, hander out of bubbles, delivering goodies to rooms, etc.

We were also fortunate in that we got to meet her friends-the other bridesmaids and their spouses, plus others.

It provided for an interesting and in depth conversation on our car ride home, which consisted of trying to answer one question--why don't we have friends like that?

The answer is simple in many ways, but hard to remedy. I do have a friend like that--the bride herself. But she lives far away now, and is an armed service member. Vor has friends like that, but they still live in Buffalo.

The fact of it is, we are drawn to being friends with people who are in the military, or who are engineers. It's fairly obvious why--my family is heavily military, so it's an environment that I am comfortable in, and draws a type of person that is similar to me and my family. For Vor, the interests he has often overlap, as do the values. The same thing goes for engineers.

We don't have much of either here. There is not a truly active military base here, and Vor is not as sunk into the engineering world anymore now that he is a lawyer.

What we do have are ALOT of lawyers.

Now, don't get me wrong, we have made some good friends here, some of whom happen to be lawyers. We are working on building those relationships too, so that they exist outside the realm in which we met.

But it was certainly frustrating for us to meet these awesome people, and then leave after the wedding. Vor commented that we could easily pick up, move to where these people are, and fit right in (if it weren't for the whole job thing, you know). We've made plans to stay in contact, and have exchanged all relevant information. I hope we can do it. We certainly have the determination to do so--its hard to find people you click with, so it is very motovating to keep them when you find them.

Sort of Vor returning to the engineering world or me joining JAG, I guess it will have to do.

No comments: