Thursday, August 2, 2012

A Thing I've Never Done


That would be being nominated for one of these jobbies (Blogging Sisterhood), by Attorney at Large.  Seven things about me, then seven people?  Excellent.  My brain is toast after only 3 hours of sleep, and I need to be led around by the nose today, so pointing me in the direction of what I should be doing sounds good.  With no further ado:

1.       I am going to start this by confessing that I shall break the rules.  While I obviously do read more than seven blogs, I’m pretty sure that seven or more people don’t read mine.  Tagging a blog person who doesn’t read me seems… desperate? Presumptuous?  Pointless?  I blame this on myself, because while I have been reading all these blogs since 2006 or 2007, I just never commented until recently.  So, you’re not going to get seven people.  Mea culpa. 

2.       I may have mentioned that I love science fiction.  I have a draft book (like half the world, I suspect), huge chunks of it written, details outlined, back story planned, maps, charts, technology all detailed.  Of course, it’s science fiction.  And it was started with the help of my husband.  Now it’s languishing, for lack of time, because for some reason, my seven month old is not terribly interested in letting me work on it in peace.

3.       I almost dropped out of law school.  I don’t mean that I was thinking about it, I mean that I had the paper work in to take a sabbatical, and I was not planning on coming back.  My sense of responsibility dictated that I must fulfill my commitment to my summer job… and I loved it.  It’s where I work now.  Same company, same position, (mostly) same people.

4.       As much as I love my job, I think that if I could quit, or go to a very low part time position, and still keep Lis in daycare, I would.  Why? Because, I would have (my freaking cute and generally hilarious) Lis more often, even though she would still spend some QT in daycare, and because then, the book would not languish.  Maybe I would brush up on my French and convince Vor that we should go to France (without bringing home a souvenir this time, [AHEM, Lis]).  I would go to the gym.

5.       Speaking of being in shape, I was a nationally ranked athlete in high school, and earned a national championship.  I got a full ride to a Division 1 school, planned on the Olympics, and began training for them.  People in my sport actually knew me on sight in law school, which was deeply bizarre for me (“famous?” I think I laughed my ass off).  I went to the Olympic training camp for my sport. I was practicing up to three times a day, and because I wasn’t crazy enough, I thought I would take up rowing as well, making it four practices of some kind per day in college.  Thus, everything unraveled, in part because of rowing—with rowing I discovered how much fun I could have doing a sport again, instead of it being a job.  I didn’t know how burned out I was until I found something I loved.  Then I hated my sport.  I left it all behind—the years, the dreams, all of it. I’ve never regretted it. Peace out, yo.

6.       What sport was this?  Synchronized swimming.                          Yes, I can hear the crickets chirping.  If you think it’s easy or stupid, then you’re easy and stupid.  I challenge you to a duel.  I will win.  I will drown you and keep you company while I do it.  Do you think you can do gymnastics?  Do you think that’s easy?  No?  Then why do you think doing what they do in the water, with no land to push off and no air top breathe of is any easier?

7.       I’ve been to South Korea.  It was amazing, and I’d love to go back.  While I was in South Korea, I got to go into the DMZ and into North Korea.  It was amazing.  I don’t ever want to go back.

Seven (HAHAHAHA see number 1) people:

Alyssa, whose son had the surgery Lis did, and only a month or two before Lis.  She was a huge help to me!
LM, who was the first person ever to leave me my own very shinny comment.  I don't know, LM, are you still up for blogging?  I miss your writing!
Butterflyfish and Attorney Work Product, both of whom I've been reading since law school.
RG, who I've been reading for about a year.  
And YOU, random lady people who read but I have no idea who you are, because you don't comment.  I'm talking about YOU (if you exist).

(I told you people I've been blog stalking you for a long time.) 

3 comments:

That Married Couple said...

I'm here stalking you :) Sometimes more than others, because I've been going through crazy spurts of not reading any blogs at all. But today I'm here! And SUPER impressed by your synchronized swimming near-Olympics story!!

Grace said...

Ha! Good, you can do it too.

Yeah, when I type it all out I feel both impressed and stupid. When I was in the midst of it, and even when I think about it now, it was just a thing I was doing. It's only when I spell it out for someone else that I think, huh.

alissa said...

Aw How very sweet to get a shout out! Thanks for the link. I think I'll have to try something like this. I have always meant to do one! Love reading everyone else's!