Thursday, January 10, 2013

Bookends

Here's the book progress thus far.

Books selected so far: (1) Dreadnought, Robert Massie. I’ve actually started this already. And I loooooove it. (2) Hot Zone, Richard Preston. I already read it, but have a strong desire to re-read it. I also have a bunch of more hard core biology/disease/science books on my list [Did I mention I was only a few classes short of a biology major? No?], but I always like to read a fiction book first to get me amped, and then move on to reality. (3) Path to Power, Robert Caro. Okay, this is going to be a real project, but when Vor read it, I was variously hysterical with laughter at the anecdotes he would read, or apoplectic with rage. That should be a good recipe. (4) The Particle at the End of the Universe, Sean Carroll. Because I am a science junkie, that’s why.

Books I’m looking for: (1) A good historical fiction book, of any era or nationality. (2) A good science fiction book. (3) A good romance book, NOT a trashy one. If it has Fabio on the cover, then it’s not for me.

Books I’m considering: (1) Dune. I’ve read it, but it just doesn’t sit right with me, which is weird—I should love it. I want to re-read and figure out what my (or its) problem is. (2) I’m considering The Green Lion trilogy—not science fiction, but it would be a new fantasy book for me. (3) Lord of the Rings trilogy. I want to re-read it, but I have already read it, and it can be a project, and I already HAVE a project in the form of the Path to Power series.

Lastly, that other thing. The things with many words that’s sitting on my hard drive. That neglected thing. I’ve thought about that book in almost every free moment that I have, and yet, thinking about it isn’t getting anything done. I’ve concluded that since I have a one year old and a full time job, it’s just not happening. The only free time I have is at night, and that’s spent filling up sippy cups and bottles and food containers for daycare the next day, laundry, and then reading a few pages of a book. So, that’s a wish and a dream I just have to acknowledge is not happening right now.

5 comments:

AAL said...

I love the Green Lion trilogy! For years, I'd buy the books up in used bookstores and mail them to friends. I even ran an RPG campaign set in that world, like a million years ago. If you read it, I'll reread it!

Have you read Lord of Light (Zelazny)? It is my husband's favorite book (aside from Starship Troopers, I think, but he's read it just as much). I didn't appreciate it much when I was younger, but I reread it a year or so ago and loved it. (And I am not generally a Zelazny fan.)

CM said...

How do you feel about fantasy? I recently read and really liked Lev Grossman's "The Magicians."

Grace said...

AAL--yes! I'm going to start it in about one and a half books. My husband keeps saying that Starship Trooper was a good book, but I have a hard time getting over the movie. Maybe I'll try that and the other as well.

CM--that's sitting on our bookshelf. My husband read it, liked it, so I guess I should too!

AAL said...

My husband gets spitting mad about the movie! (I detached and thought it was funny -- I can even detach over Austen adaptations -- but not M. Oh, no. I think he would fight a duel over the movie if he could.)

LawMommy said...

I'm not sure this book is exactly science fiction, because it's also a mystery/thriller, but have read The Footprints of God by Greg Iles? (I love pretty much everything Iles has written so I'm biased.)

My favorite romance that I've read in the last few years was a romantic mystery called, "Agnes and the Hitman" by Jennifer Cruisie and Bob Mayer.