Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Two Tickets To Anywhere

So, when we were coming back from Florida over Christmas, you might recall that we got stuck on the layover from hell.  Our flight was supposed to leave at 6 pm, and we didn’t leave that airport until midnight, and didn’t get home until 3am.  This all occurred with Lis, under the age of one, having an epic meltdown, because all the poor kid wanted to do was SLEEP.  It was a total airline screw up, and it could have been prevented, or at least mitigated, if they had gotten off their asses and done something proactive when they realized at 10 am, 8 HOURS BEFORE OUR FLIGHT WAS SCHEDULED TO LEAVE that there was going to be a problem.  No, instead they waited until after our departure time came and went to try to do something about it. 

ANYWAYS, that resulted in Vor and I each getting a round trip ticket with no restrictions to anywhere the airline would fly.  While it is tempting to use the tickets for some exotic vacation, we won’t be doing that because (1) there is no way in hell I am bringing Lis on an airplane again anytime soon; (2) because Lis is not coming, I am not comfortable going someplace that does not have cell service and requires a passport; (3) also because Lis is not going, we don’t want to go for longer than a long weekend; (4) if you’re only going for a long weekend, what’s the point of going some place exotic or far away; (5) our jobs are both exploding right now and we can’t take too much time away. 

That may have been a run on sentence with bonus abuse of semi-colons.  I feel like Virgina Woolf. 

Our options for a long weekend trip are:

1. New York City.
2. San Francisco.
3. D.C.
4. Vegas.
5. Portland or Denver. (Yes, I am aware of what I did there, but I will explain).

New York City is at the top of the list, because I lived in Buffalo for 22 years of my life and yet managed to escape without going to NYC.  Vor lived there for quite a few years; ditto.  Thus, it is a place that neither of us has been.  We should go.  We would like to go, and it has lots of direct, short flights (Bonus! I have a fear of flying).  Cons? We like quiet get aways, remote places, bed and breakfasts, etc.  NYC doesn’t seem too conducive to that.  Also, what do you do in NYC other than shop?  Perhaps this is why I never bothered to go, even with many chances to do so. 

San Francisco.  Even though I think Vor is settled on NYC, I am still for pushing for San Francisco.  I have one word for this: SUSHI.  Vor is meh on it, because he’s been before.  So have I, but I was there for a swim competition, so I was more touring the pools of San Francisco rather than the city itself.  Also, SUSHI. Plus, when I was younger, I had an unhealthy obsession with Charmed, and I realize that is a dumb reason to go, I want to see the bridge and sigh, and wish that magic was real or whatever.  SUSHI.  I like water.  I remember Haight St., and I remember loving it. SUSHI.  Cons? Vor is not really on board with it; the flights are long and not direct. Yeah, that’s a big killer for me. 

D.C. Hey, we’re both lawyers, and we can’t help ourselves.  The idea that we could plan this trip when the USSC would be in session and get in to oral arguments made us geek out.  We are both proud members of Library of Congress, meaning we have library cards, so we love to wander around in there.  I have family there, and one of my family members just had twins! Tiny babies! Two of them! To hold and squish! Plus, I have a cousin who works in the white house, so you know… maybe?  Just maybe.  Cons? We’ve been there, done that, except for the twins part. 

Vegas.  Yeah, not for gambling or for the strip, but because my best friend lives in Vegas, and there are national parks and hiking and so on.  The actual Vegas strip? I hate it.  I never want to go back.  Cons? My friend is military and she often gets deployed on one week’s notice, so that could really mess up our plans.  Then we would be left with the gambling part of Vegas, which I hate. 

Portland or Denver.  I say these in one breath because they’re not going to happen, but we wistfully added them to the list and sighed.  Portland won’t happen because there is literally one flight per day and if that is delayed, oh hell no I am not going through this again.  Plus, long flight.  Denver has the same problem, with the added bonus of we don’t actually want to be in Denver, we want to be in Estes Park at our favorite B&B, which is like 3 hours away from Denver.

So, it looks like NYC or San Francisco, with Vor and I leaning in opposite directions.  Opinions?  Other suggestions?

4 comments:

G Love said...

New Orleans, baby! Seriously, it's a great city for two adults with no kids. Wander through the quarter while the gas lamps flicker - tour the gorgeous courthouse downtown - eat amazing food. No nature, if you're feeling like hiking - but the river is lovely. It's a perfect lazy short weekend getaway. Don't let its reputation as bachelor party heaven get you down - just skip Bourbon street and you'll be fine.

HOWEVER, if you MUST go to either SF or NY, I'd do SF. I've been to New York several times and i've lived in San Francisco. I'd say if your jobs are blowing up, you have a wee child, and you aren't rolling in dough, then NY is a tough choice to get behind. It's very expensive - if you want to eat well, sleep in a not-closet, see a show, you'll drop a lot of coin. If you want to see the sights, you'll spend ages of your time walking/waiting for a cab/trying to navigate the subway. (Wish they'd take a leaf out of London'd book and re-do their subway maps.)

San Francisco will have milder weather, be easier to navigate, and allow you to have a more gentle break. I love NY, but it makes my heart race. SF is much more mellow.

But NOLA is cheaper . . . ;)

Grace said...

Shame on me for not even thinking of it!

CM said...

Yes, New Orleans!

Otherwise, NY, but only because you've never been there. Go to the Guggenheim, see the Statute of Liberty, go to a jazz club followed by a dive bar in the Village, get a gourmet doughnut, see a Broadway or way-way-off-Broadway show, eat excellent sushi (which I think you can get just as well in NYC as in SF). A hotel in NYC can be surprisingly insulated from the crowds and noise.

Except... I'm sure you'll get to NYC eventually, so I don't know if you need to make a special trip now. Go to New Orleans!

Attorney at Large said...

Obviously I vote Portland (we have mild weather -- it's only dropped below freezing a couple of times this year -- and great sushi), but if it's sushi you're after and the front runners are SF and NYC and you hate flying? NYC is closer and I'm sure the sushi is great there, too.

(But I love, love, love SF. Until we moved to Portland, I thought it was the perfect city.)