Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Progress


It’s settled.  We are going to NYC, for a variety of reasons.  We ended up seriously considering San Fran and New Orleans, but Vor’s twin (surprise! bet you didn’t know that!!) sibling lives very close to NYC, so we would like to make an annual or biennial thing out of going there and meeting her.  I think we will stay in Chelsea/West Village area, and we only have two major/touristy things on our to do list: visit the 9/11 memorial site (mine) and go to the Empire State Building (his).  Other than that, all we want is bagels and walking.  And sushi.

 

I did (am doing) a biggest blogging loser contest with Twitter people.  While I haven’t lost anywhere near the amount I wanted, it has gotten me into good habits and helped me shed a few pounds.  Well, this past month has not been a good habit generally, but I digress (digressed) and am now back on path.  I actually hope that with this new job, I will have more time for the gym, and less reasons for grabbing a quick bite out somewhere (i.e., stuffing my face with whatever I can find between hearings).   

 

I realized that even though they were too big on me, I was still happily hopping into maternity clothes precisely BECAUSE they were too big on me and they were comfy, etc.  So, in order to curb that, I piled up all the clothes and loaned them to my new coworker, who is pregnant.  Then, I promptly did what I have been delaying doing, and ordered a bunch of clothes online.  They shipped today, so in the meantime, I’m doing laundry every day to wash the one pair of pants that fit me.  I obtained two pairs of work pants, one sweater, coordinating cami, another kimono sleeved a sweater/shirt, a nice pair of jeans, and a blazer.  That will hold me over until I drop down to the next size, where I plan to add maybe another pair of pants and alter the clothes I have, and so on and so forth. 

 

It’s been an epic fail on the book front.  I had grand plans of reading fantastic books, but it just doesn’t get done.  By the time Lis crashes into bed, then I do laundry and get her food ready and pick up her toys and do the dishes and get my stuff ready for the next day, it’s about 9:30 pm and I am exhausted, because Lis probably got up at 5:30 in the morning.  So, I surf the almighty internets for about ten minutes on my phone, because its brainless, and then I am asleep.   I don’t have a plan to change this.  I don’t know how to change this.  I am slowly coming to the conclusion that it just might not be possible to have any extra me time to read when you have a toddler.  I guess I have to wait until she’s older.  Reason number 64,798 I don’t want another kid: I want to read a book again.  Oh!  I did read Emily Bazelon’s book, since it dovetails nicely with work.  So there’s that. 

 

P.S.  Y’all, it’s been eight months since Lis’s craniosynostosis surgery.   EIGHT.  MONTHS. 

 

2 comments:

CM said...

NYC is always fun.
How was Emily Bazelon's book? Is it the one about bullying?

Grace said...

I really liked it. It was hard to read at times, sad, and has some nice analysis and suggestions. Not earth shattering, but thoughtful.