Friday, March 15, 2013

The Ides

When Vor walked in the door from work at midnight o'thirty this boring/last night, and peeled an eye open and looked at him, grunted, and praised the stars for it finally being March 15.

See, in patent law world, the law is changing after today, so you can imagine that every patent attorney is the U.S. is on the verge of having his or her head explode today.    What this means in practical terms is that for about four weeks, I have been a solo parent on weekends, and for the last two weeks, I have been a solo parent al the time.  For a quick sampling, Vor has come home at 1 am, midnight, 3:30 am, and 12:30 am this week.  Poor guy has seen Lis for more than 30 minutes in the morning (because he misses her, he has been taking her to daycare in the morning so he can get some snuggles and hugs).  Poor me has been holding the house together with some duct tape and string, and after Lis goes to bed, I do housework and work-work until like 11 pm.

This really couldn't have happened at a worse time, because Mama Vor is an accountant, and it's tax season so FULL STOP.  She's been pitching in to help here and there, but its basically been all me, all the time.

Which REALLY couldn't have come at a worse time, since I started my new job this!  And in true senioritis fashion, my co-worker/friend who left the company, totally checked out about two weeks before she left, so for two weeks, I did the jobs of two people, mine and hers.  This week, I've been doing the jobs of two people, mine new one and my old one, because we're training the new attorney.  As fantastic as she is, and as long as she has been with us on a volunteer basis, it's different when you're the full time staff attorney.  So, I had to get up and running in the new job while still handling a really heavy litigation schedule.

Did I mention why my co-worker left?  To go hike in the mountains.  FOR EIGHT MONTHS. She and her husband are hiking and camping in a tent for eight months.  Then? Who knows!  They'll see where the wind blows them! THEY DON'T HAVE A PLAN FOR WHERE THEY ARE GOING TO LIVE NEXT.

So, over the last few weeks, there's been more than one episode of silent sobbing in my office, and this week, there was a brief episode of small tears when I got a good bye card that she had mailed out to me.  I was with her and her husband on Saturday, hanging out and saying goodbye, but she wanted to have something show up in the mail for me.  It was sweet, and just like her, and even though I am really annoyed that she left, I am going to miss her.  She was a close friend.  And now I, who do not make friends that easily, am down yet another close friend.

That's an ongoing problem for me.  My best friend lives in Vegas.  We always reconnect, and she will always be my best friend who is there whenever I need it, but she's not physically here, and I'm not physically there.  My closest friend from law school works here, in town, but her law firm is draining her life away and she bills unbelievable hours.  In her spare time, she and her husband travel a lot, and so... she literally lives ten minutes from me, and I never see her.  Plus, it kind of stings that she never stopped by to see me or Lis (hahaha I totally just wrote her real name and had to delete) right before, during, or after surgery.

I've made friends with people who I could easily strike up a close friendship with, but they're all in the military, so they all move away.  Now, this.

What I'm saying is that I need a friend, in real life, who can drink a glass of wine with me.  Who lives around here and likes wine and chai tea?

In other news, Lis is fan freaking tastic.  She's walking, she's running, she's climbing like a mountain goat. She's also hitting me and pinching me and clawing me, but that's another story.  She's got about five words and one sentence ("what's that?").    She is a wild woman.  She loves to run around outside, and we take walks around the neighborhood if its warm enough.

Vor made the deadly mistake (I can only assume he was punchy from sleep deprivation) of saying "You know, if we can another kid, they could burn off energy together."  The subject of the second child is reserved for another much longer post, but for now let me put it simply: NO.  I gave him to stink eye when he came up to me all cute and snuggly and innocent eyed later that night.  It's not no, never, but it is no, not right now are you freaking crazy, see the first five paragraphs of this post sir.  Of course, after the immediate problems have past then it becomes hmm, bad pregnancy, HG, GD, craniosynostosis, hmmmmm.

Anyways, that's what's happening at Chez Grace.

5 comments:

CM said...

That's a lot! Now that March 15th is here, maybe you can breathe easier for a little while... assuming here is a period between when you recover from this and the next thing happened.

I'm like you -- I don't make friends easily, and it's especially hard with a little-kid schedule. There's really nobody local I would call to come over for a glass of wine. I wish I had a friend like that. (I'm pretty sure we live a plane ride away from each other, unfortunately!)

perfectyellowyolk said...

Making friends is hard. Especially with a toddler. Since we are housebound after 7:30. It's so hard to explain this to anyone without children. "Why yes, I would LOVE to do dinner. How's 4:30?"

Grace said...

Anytime you're here! But yes, alas, we are far away. It's the curse of people like us--we can't even FIND each other!

Grace said...

Well, yeah. I totally just laughed at that. We DO do dinner at 4:30 now, because after 5:30 is the witching hour and Lis gets crazy.

Grace said...

Anytime you're here! But yes, alas, we are far away. It's the curse of people like us--we can't even FIND each other!