Saturday, November 23, 2013

Yes, Yes, Turkey Before Trees, WE ALL KNOW

My MIL is building a house. Have I mentioned that? Because she is, and she is living with a friend until her house is finished, and she is a woman who likes her own space, especially around the holidays, because she decorates the hell out of everything. Except--right now she has no house of her own, and so she has taken out her decorating frustrations on my house. My house is now fully decked out of Thanksgiving/Christmas, since she likes to put up Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving, so that the house is all pretty for the big event. It's full on holiday season in my house, folks.

This meant, of course, that I just HAD to go to Target and buy shatterproof ornaments because never shall the toddler meet the ornaments that came of my grandmother's tree. No. Not happening. So, I suspect there will be tree decorating in the near future (this weekend) when Vor's sister and her fiancee come into town. I also suspect a certain amount of BAAAALL (ball = ornament) throwing by said toddler.

Thanksgiving is at our house this year (see: MIL has no house), so on the menu:

Turkey--Vor puts some kind of herb butter rub on it and then COMPLETELY WRAPS THE TURKEY IN BACON. I can't even. It's like a dream come true.

Sweet potato casserole--my MIL makes this stuff with some kind of pecan brown sugar topping and droooool.

Green bean casserole--again, made by MIL, with crunchy onions on top. Probably my favorite Thanksgiving dish.

Cranberry sauce--I've never made it before, but I am making it this year, so I have the cranberries and oranges waiting for me in the kitchen.

Stuffing: I've always made a pretty standard stuffing, so this year, I am taking a stab at Smitten Kitchen's stuffing, and bonus, I am adjusting it to make it in the crockpot, because there's no room in the oven.

Other vegetable and salad: My SIL and her fiancee are making this part, but I've no idea what they're planning.

I've got frozen rolls waiting in the freezer, and I think I would like to make a fun breakfast of cranberry orange cinnamon buns, also compliments of Smitten Kitchen, though I will be making a few adjustments.

Really, my Thanksgiving specialty is pies, so I make three: (1) apple; (2) pumpkin; and (3) chocolate bourbon pecan pie. Yeah, you read that right. You get drunk on the pie and fall into the sea of chocolate and then grab a pecan as a life raft. Plus, I know pumpkin pie is a love/hate thing, and honestly, I've always been on the hate side, because it's bitter and not really that tasty. But, with the help of Cooks Illustrated, I've come up with a pumpkin pie that is delicious and even I, the pumpkin pie hater, will eat it and happily. The secret is maple syrup and yams. The apple pie always gets eaten the fastest, so this year, I am thinking about making the apple pie as a slab pie, again, ala Smitten Kitchen.

This just happened, and I think I'm just going to end that this completely unrelated note:


You're welcome.

No comments: