Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Pen Is Mightier

I haven't been writing here, but I have been writing, quite a bit actually.

While we have been Sherlock and Babylon 5 marathon-ing, I have had my laptop out, and have been tightening up my sci-fi universe frame work, with Vor's help. I have a beginning, a middle, and an end, but before I can do the details, I need to work out technical problems. That's where Vor the engineer comes in handy, suggesting ship designs. Vor the nerd and scientist is also handy as we discuss distance between worlds and travel methods.

Vor the nerd, the scientist, the engineer, or the husband, is not so helpful when it comes to character development, dialogue, allusion, symbolism, etc. Fortunately, I was an English major and I've been writing things for many years, so I've got that part covered.

I don't know that I will ever do anything with it, but it is a hell of a lot of fun to play with this universe. Vor and I often refer to it when we are discussion difficult moral/ethical issues that deal with cutting edge technology. We refer to something similar we created in our little universe and play the legal/moral/ethical issue into it to see how it would advance in the future that we created, and it possible outcomes, good and bad.

This makes us sound like ridiculously pompous intelligentsia divas, so let me also remind you that we spend a good deal of our time singing Sesame Street songs and changing (disposable) diapers.

I've also been toying with a murder/mystery/fantasy idea I've had for some time. It's actually starting to take shape, but I am not sure what that shape is yet.

Oh. And my work publication, full of child abuse, neglect, child molesting, termination of parental rights, and BLUE BOOK CITATIONS OH GOD KILL ME NOW.

2 comments:

Attorney at Large said...

High five. It's nice to know another couple spends time this way. :)

Grace said...

Oh, man. Here I thought I was outing us as hopeless nerd! UNITE!