Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Picture Post: Alluvial Fan and Bierstadt Lake

Here's a pictures post for you, with some descriptive captions. 

The Alluvial Fan

The above image is the rocky "rapids" of the Alluvial Fan. This picture was taken from just off the accessible path leading up to the waterfall, though waterfall is not entirely accurate. 

One of the actual waterfall parts of the Alluvial Fan. This was reached via a hike up the boulders on the west side of the falls. We could have gone higher, and others did, but we decided that it was already a successful excursion. 

An example of the climb up and down you might have to take. We actually avoided this route, choosing instead to stick to boulders and avoiding impacting any plant life. 
 
What remains one of my favorite pictures from the park. It was taken with my iPhone with a Moment lens, but the lens was a bit grubby from my fingers at this point. JK is helping EJ cross the waterway, having first checked all rocks himself with his trekking poles. Even a shallow amount of water can be dangerous, and you have to have great care and respect when dealing with it. Seeing them working together carefully, against the mountain backdrop, was a heart soaring moment. 


Bierstadt Lake

While I may have slightly skewed the image--my hands were jostling around quite a bit--you can see it's a pretty steep incline up.

I believe I mentioned parts of the trail were steep and rocky, right? Never fear, it was great fun. The "rock climbing" aspect kept the kids endless entertained.

This was our first peek at the clearing where the lake was, and I could have sat here all day. It's the picture definition of anticipation--you know it's right there, right up ahead, waiting for you.

While this is not my favorite picture of Bierstadt Lake that we took--silly wide angle lens on my phone made it look smaller than it is--it's the one I choose for this for the colors, for the mountains, and the sky.

There were parts of the hike that were flat and the floor was blanketed by pine needles.

On our way back down, looking over Glacier Creek Stables. 

No comments: