Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Fort Harrison State Park

Indiana is our home base, and we consider Fort Harrison State Park--or as everyone around here calls it, Fort Ben--our home park.

Why To Go

It's just dang pretty, and its right there, in Indianapolis. There's creeks, and some decent hills (for central Indiana, that is). There's great spots to rest and picnic. There's trails for road biking, and trails for mountain biking. There's golf, too, and the old Garrison is now a restaurant with delicious food, with an Inn nearby. There's sledding in winter, and fishing and canoeing in summer (with permits). There's horseback riding, and there's history--so much history to this park. 

It used to be part of an army post--the former Citizen's Military Training Camp has been preserved around the park office in what used to be known as Camp Glenn. There are the park offices and even a Museum of 20th Century Warfare, which has exhibits about the soldiers that served at Fort Harrison. There are often reenactments and other history related events.

Favorite Trails

I could try to pick my favorite trails, but I can't. I won't. I shan't. You can't make me, I love them all. It's very common to people to have their leashed dogs on the trail, kids are a common trail sighting, and you get casual hikers to brisk and intense hikers to trail runners. Some of the trials are mixed use, meaning, they are also used for mountain bikers. Personally, when I am hiking with kids, I prefer to have the mountain bikers coming at me head on--I can see them in advance, with time to pull the kids off the trail. The mountain bikers have almost exclusively been fantastic and polite, but hey, they are on a bike, balancing, and we are on our own two feet, so I like to move for them rather than make them work for it. Team work makes the dream work.

Schoen Creek--This was the trail that had me falling in love with Fort Ben. It's up, it's down, there are tight turns, a steep drop off, it winds back and forth. Along the way, you'll pass over bits of frames of old buildings--remnants of the military fort, or get glimpses of Lawton Loop, where the officers lived, and are now private houses. 

Lawrence Creek--This trail is longer, and one that JK and I typically do together, without the kids, though we do parts of the trails with the kids. They can certainly handle the distance, it's more that we just like saving this one for just us. It has one of my favorite section of the entire park, where the trail narrows and is cut into the side of the hill but wraps back in on itself. I often let JK and kids, if they are with us, get far ahead, just so I can be amused by the view. So close, but so far. 

Camp Creek and Fall Creek--although these are/can be two separate trails, we often do them together and combine them in new and different ways. These are the two trails we prefer to have the kids on, because there are no bikers--it's a hiking only trail. This is a trail where, at the beginning, you often see people finding little sandy beach spots and floating along in the creek. It's honestly delightful to see families come camp out for the day, floating, picnicking, and having fun. This trail will take you along the creek, through trees, through tall grasses, up stairs, over gravel and sometimes  quick pavement crossing, down hills, and more. It can be kind of a choose your adventure hike, because you can cut it very short and exit on to the paved path back to the parking lot at several spots, or you can keep tacking on the dirt miles. 

There are some paved paths and a shorter Tree Line Trail, but they are more of a walk (though a delightful one) than a hike.




Favorite Spots to Be

Millennium Grove Picnic Area is such a great spot. There are places and spots to pull off and park your car and when the grasses are tall, you are isolated from each other. Schoen Creek Trail runs all around the area, so you could pick it up and hike a bit, or you can just hang. 

The top of the big sledding hill is another major favorite. It's a nice view from a high point, and I love sitting up there in summer and fall and just enjoying the sun and breeze. This hill is where I do my "training" when I know I am going to hike bigger hills/mountains--I run up the hill and walk down, over and over. 

Other Things to Do

There are stables, so you can sign yourself up for a nice horseback ride. Our daughter did it when she was five, and it was easy enough and fun. In the winter, it's a popular place for sledding--that big hill is a great ride. There's a golf course that's part of the park, so if golfing is your jam, it's a beautiful course. I see many families in the summer load up a cooler and  go find a spot along the creeks, park themselves there, and wade in, floating along the creek. 

Last, but certainly not least, is the history. In Fort Ben is the museum of 20th Century Warfare. they have reenactments, displays, special exhibits, and special guest series.

Eats and Sleeps

Nearby, you have deliciousness. Porter Books and Brews is a delightful coffee shop with some baked goods. Cafe Audrey is delicious, as is Chef Suzanne's little drive up hut. There's some chains--Panera, Culver's--but I generally prefer the local places I mentioned. The Garrison is a more old-fashioned eating place, but they do a great brunch on weekends. 

The Fort Harrison Inn is fantastic. I've stayed there, despite being close to my house and it is just neat.

No comments: