Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Travel Planning: Spring Break 2022

Due to Lawyer Problems (an actual thing requiring capitalization), we are still planning what we are doing for spring break this year, and we aren't able to book anything yet. We are on tenterhooks*, waiting to see how these trials and schedules shake out, and then we will execute one of our plans, last minute style. Since we need to stay flexible, we are also playing the game of potentially needing to book a flight or a place to stay last minute. 

This is not my favorite game. 

Coming up with itineraries IS one of my favorite games though. I have an entire inventory, so when day comes where JK says, "Let's talk about going to Iceland!" I will cheerfully pull out the three suggested Iceland itineraries I have. Yes, I am like this all the time, why do you ask? Also, my itineraries often have charts and spreadsheets. 

Great Smokey Mountains National Park. This is the busiest national park, but spring time has a lower number of people, a high number of budding wildflowers, and more than 800 miles of hiking trails that don't get used as much by people just doing the drive through. There are still lots of vacation rental places available, and many of them take dogs, so we could bring the current model of golden retriever. It's a close enough drive. I have no interest in going to GSMNP in the summer--it sounds like a crowded mess. I bet fall is gorgeous, but again, I bet everyone else has heard that, too. Spring is when I've always wanted to go to GSMNP--hiking, wildflowers, weather that starting to warm, nearby Gatlinburg. This is my preference for a trip.  

Mammoth Cave National Park. I mean, how cool is this? It's the world's longest known cave system and it's practically in my backyard. Cave tours, a bike trail that used to be a railroad for the train loving child, some nice looking hikes, and if we are lucky, a chance to do a kayak trip on the Green River. At first, I was all excited, because it looked like there were backcountry trails we could get to in one part of the park, but reviews of the trails all talk about how muddy and unmarked they are, which is probably not the best bet for our family right now. So, I think we are looking at a cave focused experience, with some hiking and biking in the main area of the park. This is JK's preference--as long as he is able to go (that's a whole other part of the logistics questions).

Red River Gorge Geological Area, in Daniel Boone National Forest. Have you heard of this place? Lots of people in Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky go here for camping, rock climbing, hiking, and more. It's a real stunner of a place--a canyon system within the Daniel Boone National Forest, and it's got more than 100 natural sandstone arches. There's more hiking than you can shake your trekking poles at, and I'd love to try a rock climbing lesson. There's also kayaking tours that take you INTO a cave on a kayak, which, yes, please, sign me up. I think this is a strong second place for both of us. 

Saguaro National Park. Yes, I realize I just named a whole bunch of places close by and in easy driving distance, and here I am, throwing out an option in Tucson Arizona. That's the luxury of having family in other places--it makes spontaneous trips easier when you have a place to crash. I love Tucson, and spring is a great time to visit. You might even catch some cactus blooms (and some cactus pollen). We'd hike in both units of Saguaro National Park, and over in Sabino Canyon. The kids would love the Desert Museum, and maybe we could catch some night sky action on top of Mt. Lemmon, or do a sunset horseback ride. Not to mention my brother and his family and their pool. Major cons to this are the expense of the flight, car rental, and having Finn the dog stay with the dog sitter. 

Complicating logistics is the fact that I might be doing this solo with the kids, because lawyering and trials are stupid some times. So maybe JK will be there; maybe he won't. What do I want to tackle without him? If he's not with us, we are not going to Mammoth, because he really wants to go. Should I plan for Tucson, because I would have more family? But that's a hassle with tickets, etc. My preference is GSMNP or Red River Gorge--I am comfortable driving there, I would be fine being there sans JK. I would be equally comfortable in Tucson, but then I am dealing with flights and refundable tickets and dog care and ugh. 

So, we are seeing how a few more things shake out before we make decisions, then we will pick one. 

*Did you know that it's tenterhooks, not tenderhooks? Tenterhooks were hooked nails in a wooden frame called a tenter. Tenters were used in the process of making woolen cloth in the 14th century--the metal hooks were used to stretch the wool on the tenter as it dried. 

No comments: