Monday, March 7, 2022

Hike: Camp Creek Trail

It was a beautiful, sunny day, and Grams was scheduled to pick up both kids. By 2:00 pm, I'd already worked a full day and thought I had more to do, I decided to take a quick break, leave my downtown office, grab the dog, and do a solo hike. 

Park: Fort Harrison State Park
Trail: Camp Creek Trail
Distance: 3 miles (full trail is a bit less, but I added on some other areas)

Gosh, what a muddy mess. I knew it might be, given our hike over the weekend, but I had hoped that a few days with no rain and decent temperatures would make it tolerably muddy, not "sloppy wet mess that makes you fall on your ass" level of muddy. That's what hiking boots and dog towels are for, though, so on we went. There were a couple sections where I turned back or took a connecting trail because it was such a mess that I didn't want to do more damage to the trail than what was already done. 

Finn and I had a blast--the sun was shining, there were so many things to smell, the crowd was super light, and the birds were singing. Finn did a great job of sitting prettily and waiting for other hikers with dogs to pass. He didn't bark or try to play with them at all, and he hiked along with a slight amount of slack in the lead. He's becoming a good hiking dog, despite his lazy nature. 

It was much easier to settle into a few more hours of work with some peaceful time outdoors under my belt. It's also easier with an exhausted puppy.

No comments: