Friday, March 4, 2022

Workouts for Hiking

As spring break and our trip approaches, my foot is really starting to feel better. Although we aren't planning any huge elevation hikes, I wanted to make sure I was in okay shape to hike some distance on uncertain terrain. Ideally, I would have another month of healing, but I will just have to pace myself and make sure I take care.

The work outs have really helped--they've kept in me in shape while reducing stress on my foot, helped me build up supporting muscles, and stretched out the muscles that need it most. 

This Week in Workouts
Saturday--2.5 mile hike; 30 minutes HIIT (rowing intervals, squat/curl/thrust combos, landmine work, speed skater lunges).
Sunday--30 minutes HIIT, plus extra 10 minutes of core work (rowing intervals, stair lunges, planks, push up, triceps, mountain climbers).
Monday--40 minutes on the elliptical, mimicking hiking inclines and declines. Yoga in the evening. 
Tuesday--3 mile hike for cardio; weights (legs, back).
Wednesday--30 minutes HIIT (rower intervals; burpees, lunges, squats, planks).
Thursday--40 minutes on the elliptical, mimicking hiking inclines and declines. Yoga in the evening. 
Friday--30 minutes HIIT (rowing intervals, planks, burpees, dips, landmines, pushups, stair steps)

Every one of these days also has stretching, especially for my legs and feet. 

Here's hoping that my feet get many happy hikes in a few weeks!

No comments: